Thursday, February 27, 2014

FACES OF HEBRON:
One Day in the West Bank

In January 2012, I spent two weeks in Israel/Palestine thanks to the generosity of the wonderful folks who make up the Six Degrees Consortium. I stayed in a convent in Jerusalem's Old City, just a floor above the busy streets of the Muslim Quarter. My time in the Old City was an incredible experience that I will never forget, and there were many moments of joy and discovery. For one day however, I left the magic of the Old City for a tour of the West Bank city of Hebron. Newspaper and television reports had not prepared me for my insight into the reality of life for Palestinians in the occupied territories. I created this series of 12 collages in an attempt to portray the people of Hebron and their struggle for autonomy. More information on the Israel/Palestine situation may be found on the web at http://apartheidweek.org, and a weekly newsletter by Professor Mazin Qumsiyeh may be accessed at qumisyeh.org.

Lori Gordon
February 19, 2012
 

No comments:

Post a Comment